
Okay, it's not Holbrook, it's Texas but the wind blows just the same. During the winter we have days when it is very dry and very windy. We also have lots of weeds, TEXAS size weeds! So sometimes we have wildfires. Generally speaking, especially in the city, our wildfires are not of a biblical-destruction nature. However, last week, a traveler on I-20 (probably a Yankee) casually discarded a burning cigarette out his car window and unknowingly ruined my day.
The first hint I had that something was not right with my world was that the sky turned orange. Then the phone started ringing (YIKES); the city told me to prepare for possible evacuation, then came the calls for the Bishop (DOUBLE YIKES). All I could think was, "How am I going to get 4 cats in the front seat of my pick-up and drive anywhere without a lot a bloodshed?". I decided I'd rather burn (I'm going to eventually anyway) so I fixed myself a coke and went back to answering the phone.
The fire never really got all that close to our neighborhood although it still smells like it did. Lessons learned: 1) all the cans of food in our 72 hour kits were like - BLOATED, 2) Colin's kit had extra underwear (very small whitey-tightys), 3) Ross wasn't going to leave work early just because our house might burn down, and finally 4) I didn't have to feed my kids dinner because they couldn't come home. Michelle fed them -- sweet.