Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Yard Therapy


I love my white iris. The variety was originally handed-down to me by my good friend and Symphony League volunteer, Elaine, 20+ years ago. Elaine was in her early 60s and was a master artist in the garden. She was educated in Economics. Not many women studied Economics in the 40's and fewer received a degree. She loved the Symphony, the Opera and hanging-out with twenty-some brats at Shakespeare in the Park. She found us amusing. She once told me she loved Ross' smile because she said he looked at her with a twinkle in his eyes that said, "you and I could have a good time."

Elaine would have me over for lunch in her garden. She tutored me in art, gardening, fine cheese, life and so much more. Several years later, Elaine lost a long battle with stomach cancer. I had trans-planted her white iris but they didn't bloom until the spring after her death. They are a constant, sweet reminder of my dear friend.

Coming Soon: Blue Iris, Black Iris (I hope) and Climbing Roses. Gone but not forgotten: Peach Iris